Friday, July 10, 2009

Family Favorite: Calzones

Last night for dinner we had some delicious and delightful calzones {we have pizza night at least every other week...so I wanted a new twist}! Calzones
I made my new favorite pizza dough recipe {courtesy of Frank Stitt's Bottega Cookbook} but you could buy some pre-made {Publix has a great one in their bakery}. I cut the dough into thirds {I cut one of the thirds into half for "mini" calzones so each child could have their own.} I browned some ground beef, Italian sausage and pepperoni; drained it and returned it to the pan. Then I mixed in about 1/2 of a can of pizza sauce. I piled the meat mixture on one side of the rolled out dough and then topped it with chopped banana peppers, basil, oregano {all from our garden} and shredded mozzarella cheese: Inside the Calzones
I sealed them up with some egg and brushed some more on top. I baked them in at 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes. I served them with a side of pizza sauce for dipping {who doesn't like to dip?}. My entire family won a "Clean Plate Award"...Jody said it was better than the one he had here, and Mary Reese wanted another one for breakfast!

No comments: