Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Family Favorite: Italian Joe

***I found this recipe in my drafts.  I guess I forgot to publish it!  It is perfect for those cool fall nights!***

It's a modern day version of the Mamwich [I am sure it is much better...I have never actually eaten a mamwich].  The intro to the recipe says it only gets better with time [y'all know I love a recipe that you make a head of time].  It is loaded with great veggies [a wonderful way to sneak them in for the kids]...

italianjoeveggies

The finished product served on some Ciabatta Rolls...

italianjoe

As you can see, Owen LOVED it...

owielikejoe

Y'all think I am kidding when I say he requires at least 3 baths a day.

Italian Joe

1 ¼ lb. sweet Italian link sausage, casings removed
1 lb. ground chuck
4 T. olive oil, divided
2 c. diced onions
2 T. minced garlic
1 c. diced red bell pepper
½ c. diced carrot
½ c. diced celery
2 T. tomato paste
1 (28 oz) can tomato puree
1 (28 oz) can tomatoes in juice
4 t. dried oregano
2 t. red pepper flakes
1 t. ground nutmeg
1 t. dried Italian seasoning
½ c. dry red wine (I used beef broth)
3 T. balsamic vinegar
2 T. brown sugar
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 loves ciabatta bread (I used Alexia Ciabatta Rolls from the freezer section in Publix)

Brown sausage and chuck in 2 T. oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, breaking up any large chunks with a spoon, 10-15 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Heat remaining 2 T. oil in same pot over medium-high. Sauté onion until just beginning to brown, 5-10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minutes. Stir in bell pepper, carrot, celery and tomato paste; cook until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.

Stir in tomato puree, diced tomatoes, oregano, pepper flakes, nutmeg, Italian seasoning and browned meat; simmer 10 minutes.

Add wine, vinegar and brown sugar, then bring mixture to a boil. Simmer sauce until thickened, 10-15 minutes, stirring often; season with salt and black pepper.

Slice ciabatta loaves lengthwise. Spoon Italian Joe over bottom halves of bread, cover with top halves, and cut each loaf into 6 sandwiches.

***We only used ½ of the joe mix, so I froze the rest for another night. The recipe says it serves 12.

No comments: