Monday, August 25, 2008

End of Summer = Putting away for Winter

I can tell that summer is drawing to an end when I drive by the farmers market and see the dwindling number of vendors. So I have been shoving in as many fresh summer veggies as I can and putting some up for the winter! Last night, Debbie cooked her "last summer veggie meal" of the season. We yummed up creamed corn, fried okra, squash dressing and purple hull peas.
While Popsy and Gigi were out of town a few weekends ago, the kids and I tended to their garden! We picked tomatoes, okra and green beans. Then we enjoyed:
Summer Succotash {a perfect blend of tomatoes, okra, corn and onions}
Fried Okra

Green Beans

Popsy's Green Bean crop was a bumper crop this year. I ended up with 10 quarts of green beans put up for the winter! They have a home in the deep freeze right next to the 6 quarts of blueberries I put away in June. I haven't frozen this many summer veggies since I got out of making homemade baby food!

1 comment:

StaceyLWillis said...

I think you need to share the wealth of green beans! :)