Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sand Box Transformation

This weekend we transformed the sand box (a.k.a. giant litter box) left by the previous owners into our vegetable/herb/flower garden. I had a tomato/herb garden at the old house for the past two summers. I loved being able to walk out my back door and pick a handful of fresh herbs or a tomato off the vine to use in my meals. So far, we planted 2 tomato plants (cherry and better boy) and tons of herbs (rosemary, chives, basil, parsley, Italian parsley, oregano, thyme, lemon thyme, sage, cilantro and mint). I am still looking for a Roma tomato plant, Lemon Balm and Pineapple Sage. Does anyone else have any other herb suggestions?
Since we had more room this year, we expanded our garden to include some flowers… I let the kids pick out a pack of flower seeds at Lowe’s. Banks picked out sunflowers, Mary Reese picked out marigolds and I picked out 3 different kinds of zinnias. We planted those in the right hand side of the bed. I can’t wait to see if those actually come up! I have ordered some colored, spiral tomato cages and some copper plant markers. I will have to post more pictures as things start growing and taking shape! Here are some before, during and after pictures of the “garden” so far:

No comments: