Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Celebration of Life

Yesterday afternoon we loaded up with Jody's parents and cousin Michael and headed down to Tuscaloosa for a blood drive at the Sigma Nu house and a Denny Chimes Tribute for Patrick’s life. Sue had some t-shirts made to give to all the blood donors with Denny Chimes on the back and the words “Celebrating the life of Patrick Murphree.” I can’t think of a more fitting way to put it…Patrick truly celebrated life and impacted everyone he encountered. The Greek system at Alabama has always been so supportive of each other and yesterday was no exception. It was no surprise to me that LifeSouth had collected 80 pints of blood (the goal for the day was 40) by the time we left for the Quad and people were still coming in the door! The Denny Chimes Tribute so moving for me. While standing there with my husband and children listening to chimes, I thought about how my college experience at Alabama was so similar to Patrick’s. Like me, he truly loved everything about the University and made everything of everyday he was there. Also like me, he made some of his best friends during his time there. I also thought about all that I have done in the almost thirteen years since my graduation and realized just how much he must have been looking forward to. Some of his friends set up a facebook page for his memorial service in December. The following quote was posted and it was stated that it sounded like Patrick (I agree): Death is nothing at all – I have only slipped away into the next room. Whatever we were to each other, that we are still. Call me by my old familiar name, speak to me in the easy way which you always used. Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of me, pray for me. Let my name be the household word that it always was. Let it be spoken without effort. Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was; there is absolutely unbroken continuity. Why should I be out of your mind because I am out of your sight? I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just around the corner. All is well; nothing is past; nothing is lost. One brief moment and all will be as it was before – only better, infinitely happier and for ever – we will all be one together with Christ.

No comments: