Friday, January 21, 2011

family favorite: snowed in cookies

Last week when we were snowed in for a few days, I tried out some new recipes and discovered a fabulous new cookie.  The original name of the cookie was Peanut Butter Pretzel Chocolate Chunk Cookie.  I am a simple girl, so I call it a Snowed In Cookie.  It is the perfect combination of sweet and salty!  Delicious & Delightful!

First, you cream together 1 c. butter, 1 c. creamy peanut butter, 1 c. sugar and 1 c. brown sugar...

SnowedInCookies1

Then you add 1 t. vanilla and 2 eggs...

SnowedInCookies2

...and mix well.

Then you mix in 3 c. all-purpose flour, 1 t. baking powder and 1 t. baking soda...

SnowedInCookies3

Then break up some pretzels until you have 1¾ c...

SnowedInCookies4

[The original recipe calls for the pretzels to be crushed.  I like to break the pretzel sticks instead so I have chunks of them in the cookie.]

Stir the pretzels and 1 (11½ ounce) bag of chocolate chips or chunks into the cookie mixture...

SnowedInCookies5

Using a small cookie scoops [or a tablespoon measuring spoon], scoop the cookies...

SnowedInCookies6

...onto ungreased cookie sheets [I line mine with parchment paper]...

SnowedInCookies7

Bake in a 350° for 10-12 minutes.

SnowedInCookies8

Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.

Snowed In Cookies

1 c. butter, softened
1 c. creamy peanut butter
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
2 eggs
3 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1¾ c. crushed pretzel pieces [I break mine into small pieces]
1 (11½  oz) bag chocolate chunks or chips*

Preheat oven to 350°.  Beat butter, peanut butter and sugars until creamed.  Add vanilla and eggs and mix well.  Add flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix.  Finally add crushed pretzel pieces and chocolate chunks, mix until combined.  Using a small cookie scoop, place cookie dough on ungreased cookie sheets [I line mine with parchment paper].  Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack and store in an air tight container.

*When we were snowed in, I only had chocolate chips.  I picked some chunks up the next time I went to the grocery store and made another batch of the cookies.  I prefer the chunks to the chips but to each his own!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

they were sooo good! Colwell wanted to know if you will make him some?

Lisa said...

Yummy, I've actually been thinking about this very type of cookie and have been wanting to make it. Yours look delicious. I'm starting a new linky party on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweets-for-saturday-1_21.html

pup said...

Hi,Found you on Lisa's Sweets for Saturday..
These cookies look and sound delicious! I love the addition of peanut butter and pretzels!!

Tara said...

Why is it that I always get so hungry when I read your blog?! YUM! You're always cooking up something good!

Karen said...

This sounds really good. I put some pretzels in my chocolate chip cookie recipe once and it was delish!

Beth said...

These sound so good! Also love your header photo - those children are just adorable!
Blessings, Beth

Amy said...

These look wonderful and perfect for munching! :)

I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by and submit an entry. Good Luck.

http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

Lisa said...

Thanks so much for linking this up with Sweets for a Saturday. I truly appreciate your support. I hope you'll be able to join me again next Saturday. By then, I'll have a cute button that you can grab and add to your post.

Dreams of cakes said...

Pretzels in cookies? My husband will be very happy to hear this. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us. It looks very tasty!!
http://www.dreamofcakes.net

Allison said...

yum!