Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Family Favorite: Chicken Wraps

We tried this chicken wrap recipe during our staycation at Smith Lake this summer and fell in love!  We have been eating them at least bi-weekly since.  They are super easy, delicious & delightful, and pretty healthy to boot.

First I sprinkle boneless, skinless chicken breast [I use 3 to 4 breasts] with salt, pepper, cumin, chopped fresh cilantro and chopped fresh oregano.  Then I drizzle some olive oil on top and squeeze a fresh lime over that...

ChickWrapMarinate

I let mine marinate for at least 30 minutes.  Jody throws them on the Big Green Egg while I cook some rice [I use Vigo Mexican Rice] and prepare all the condiments for our wraps.

I pile my flour tortilla with shredded lettuce, grated cheese, sliced chicken, avocado slices & Popsy's Margarita Salsa...

ChickenWraps

...and yum it up!  My kids just omit the toppings they don't like.  At the lake this summer, I cooked double the chicken and we made chicken quesadillas the next day for lunch.  I think this chicken & pineapple quesadilla recipe looks fabulous and can't wait to try it next week.

Chicken Wraps with Spanish Wraps [adapted from Better Homes & Gardens New Grilling Book]
3-4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
salt & pepper to taste
1 t. cumin
1 T. oregano, chopped (or 1 t. dried)
1 T. cilantro, chopped
4 T. olive oil
juice of 1 lime
1 avocado, seeded, peeled & sliced
cilantro
grated cheese
shredded lettuce
salsa
sour cream
lime wedges

Sprinkle the chicken (both sides) with salt, pepper, cumin, oregano & cilantro.  Pour the olive oil & lime juice over the chicken and marinate for at least 30 minutes. 

Grill the chicken for 12-15 minutes [turning once halfway through], until chicken is no longer pink.  Thinly slice or chop the chicken.

To assemble:  Spread some hot rice on each tortilla [I prefer mine on the side].  Top with avocado slices and cilantro, chicken, lettuce & cheese.  Fold in sides of tortillas and roll up.  If desired, serve with salsa, sour cream and lime wedges.

No comments: