Monday, February 8, 2010

Valentine's Day Happies - Cheese Straws

The kids took "happies" to their teachers today in honor of Valentine's Day...

Valentine's Teacher Gifts

Usually I send something sweet but this year I thought their teachers might be in a diabetic comma by the time Valentine's Day rolls around!  So I opted to pair their kitchen towels with cheese straws.

I will be the first to admit...I have always been intimidated by them.  But once my mom passed along all her tips she learned from the Cheese Straw Making Guru of Decatur...I found them surprisingly easy!

First I shredded my cheese and let it get to room temperature...

Shredded Cheese

I also cut up my butter and let it get room temperature...

BUTTER!

Then I sifted some flour, salt, baking powder and red pepper...

Sift

Once everything gets to room temperature, I layered it in my food processor...

Layer

Then processed it until a ball is formed...

Process

Then I fit a cookie press with a star tip {I have also used the ribbon tip but I personally prefer the star}...

Star Tip

...before loading the press with the cheese mixture and cranking them out...

Cheese Squeeze

I neatly lined them on a lightly-greased baking sheet...

Cheese Straws

...and baked until crisp.

After they cooled, I bagged and tagged them for all our teachers...

V Day Teacher Happies

Hopefully they will love the little bite of savory to cut down all the sweets they will eat this week!

I also made a second batch...

Church bake sale

...for the church bake sale.  They sold them for $6.00 a bag...maybe I need to go into the cheese straw making business?

2 comments:

C. Smith said...

Do you make all your tags or buy them??? They are always so CUTE!!

Carol Hardage said...

I love the bags too. Can you publish the recipe so I can get the exact measurements for the cheese straws? Also the baking time.