Sunday, January 8, 2012

twenty twelve :: a new year

I was a slacker in December. I didn't do nearly the things I normally do. I made zero batches of peanut butter fudge. I didn't even do a Christmas card!

Last year I had my cards done and sent out early December. We went to The Grand right before Christmas and I wish I had waited to do my Christmas cards when I saw those pictures. This year we didn't go to the Grand until after Christmas, so I thought some New Year's cards might be appropriate for us this year...

NewYearCard

They have been designed and ordered. They should be here this week so I can get them sent out. Maybe I can be more with it by December [I have almost 12 months right?].

After our low key Christmas, we had an even more low key New Year's. For the past several years, we have decided to just stay home with our children and forgo all the New Year's Eve parties. I wouldn't have it any other way!

New Year's Eve we had a steak dinner...

NewYearEveMeal

...with grilled shrimp, twice baked potatoes, and asparagus. Banks built us a little fire to keep warm with while Jody cooked the steaks on the BGE...

NewYearEveFire

He has gotten to be pretty good with his fire making skills. He might could even try out for Survivor!

For dessert...

NewYearEveBFoster

Bananas Foster. Yum!

The kids didn't make it until midnight. I barely did myself. We rang in the New Year and I went to bed!

The next day we all enjoyed a traditional New Year's Day lunch with our families...

NewYearDayFeast

I forgot to take a picture before we dug in. This is all the leftovers!

The day before, Owen and Debbie picked some greens Popsy planted a few months ago in one section of our raised bed...

TurnipGreenPicking

We combined those with some out of Popsy's garden for our mess of greens. Since this was all that was left over...

GreensforMoney

...we should all be wealthy in 2012!

We had our Black Eyed Peas for luck...

BlackEyedPeas

We actually had them two ways both inspired by the PW...Zannie's Black Eyed Pea Dip and Hoppin' John.

I made my traditional Mac & Cheese with a twist...

Mac&Cheesew/AndSaus

It seemed like every cooking magazine for December had Mac & Cheese on the front cover. On the cover of Cuisine, theirs had kielbasa sausage. I opted for a little andouille sausage.

We also had some Shrimp Artichoke Dip, Meatloaf smoked on the BGE, mashed pototes, cornbread and Banana Pudding. It was all delicious & delightful. I perfect way to start off a new year!

A recap of 2011...

In January, we went a little stir crazy with tons of snow and missed several days of school...

HouseMonAM

In February, we got more snow and passed the time making Valentine's doughnuts...

cinn-sugardonut

In March, we celebrated Owen's 2nd Birthday...

Owen2Brunch2

In April, we spent a relaxing spring break at The Grand...

3murphrees1

In May, Mary Reese graduated from Kindergarten...

MRGradCake

...and Banks was awarded Student of the Month...
 
SOMWinner

In June, we fought strep throat during our summer vacay at The Grand and the beach...

MRBOBeach

In July, we spent the Fourth shooting fireworks at the lake...

MRFirework2

In August, we spent the last weekend before school started back in Hotlanta where we saw the Braves play and visited the Georgia Aquarium...

FAM@Braves2

In September, Mary Reese lost her first tooth...

MRLostTooth

In October, we took the big kids to Alabama's homecoming...

FAMHomecoming

Then a few weeks later, Jody and I spent the weekend with some college friends for the Alabama/Tennessee game...

CollegeFriends

In November, Mary Reese turned seven...

MrsPropstGirls

In December, Banks turned nine and killed his first deer...
 
Banks1stDeer

Here's hoping to a fun & exciting 2012!

No comments: