Tuesday, March 15, 2011

family favorite: stromboli

We ♥ Stromboli Night! 

I ♥ it even more these days because it is quick and easy.  Lately we have been on the GO...between baseball practice, Mary Reese's reading group play, gymnastics and homework.  Stromboli as become one of my go-to dinners on these busy weeknights.

First, buy a package of this in your freezer section...

StromboliFrozenDough

It is around the frozen biscuits in my local grocery store.  I use 2 of the 3 loaves for my family of 5...it is enough for dinner and for everyone to have in their lunch boxes the next day.

In the morning, I put the 2 frozen loaves on the counter in bread pans.  I cover them with a cloth and leave them to rise all day.  When we get home from school, this is what they looked like...

StromboliRisenDough

I roll the dough out on a floured surface until I get it as wide and long as I want it...

StromboliDoughRolledOut

The chopping block in my kitchen is a 24" square...if that gives you any ideas.  I definitely roll it out longer than wider.

After I get it rolled out, I start layering.

For my kids, they like a plain old pepperoni and cheese stromboli.  I layer shredded mozzarella and deli-sliced, sandwich-sized pepperoni...

StromboliHalfLeaded

I start with cheese, layer of pepperoni, layer of cheese, pepperoni and then another layer of cheese on top [these are thin layers].

Jody and I like ours a little more jazzed up...

StromboliLoaded

I start with some shredded mozzarella, then a layer of deli-sliced, sandwich-sized pepperoni, layer of cheese, layer of thinly-sliced black forest ham, layer of cheese, layer of hard salami, layer of cheese, layer of ham, layer of cheese, layer of pepperoni, layer of cheese [again thin layers].  If it wasn't raining last night...I would have thrown in some freshly chopped basil and oregano from the herb garden some where in those layers.  If I was the only one eating it, I would have probably sprinkled some crushed red pepper somewhere in those layers.

Once you get all you layers like you like them, you...

StromboliFoldedOnce

...fold over one side.  I dip my finger in a bowl of water and run it along the edge at the end.  Then I press them together to seal.

StromboliFolded

You do the same with the other side, pressing the seams together to seal.

Invert, seam side down, on a baking sheet...

StromboliReadytoBake

Bake them in a 375° oven for about 25 minutes [until the bread is browned].

StromboliDone

Remove to a cutting board, slice & serve.

StromboliSliced

I served mine with a simple salad...

StromboliDinner

Delicious & Delightful!

Stromboli

1 – 1 lb. loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
¼ – ½ lb. thinly slice black forest ham (I used Boar's Head)
¼ – ½ lb. sandwich-style sliced pepperoni (Boar's Head again)
¼ lb. sliced hard salami (Boar's Head again)
1 – 1½ c. shredded mozzarella
½ T. fresh basil, chopped (or ½ t. dried)
¼ T. fresh oregano, chopped (or ¼ t. dried)

Roll the dough into a 15 x 10" rectangle on a lightly floured surface.  Layer the meats, cheese and spices to your taste.  Moisten all edges of dough with water; bring each long edge of dough to center.  Press edges together securely to seal.  Seal ends.  Place seam side down on a lightly greased cookie sheet.  Bake in a 375° oven for about 25 minutes, or until browned.  Remove to a cutting board and cut horizontally.  Serve with a simple salad for a quick and easy meal.