Tuesday, November 23, 2010

making lemonade

When apple starting coming into season, I started making Fresh Apple Cakes...

FreshAppleCake

It is full of apples, spices & nuts.  It doesn't require a mixer.  It screams fall.  It is delicious & delightful.

A couple of weeks ago when I went to dump one out, half of the cake stayed in the pan...

messyapplecake

I am still not sure why.  I had made several of these prior and nothing like this had happened.  Instead of throwing it away, I decided to make a Fresh Apple Cake Trifle...

AppleCakeTrifle

I took it to work because my family didn't need this monstrosity.  They raved and I laughed.  Then I told them the story of the messed up cake.

It would be a fabulous addition to your Thanksgiving table and needs to be assembled a head of time [which is always a plus in my book].

Fresh Apple Cake
3 c. flour
1 t. salt
1 t. soda
1 t. cinnamon
¼ t. allspice
½ t. nutmeg
3 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c. canola oil
3 fresh apples, chopped [I used 2 granny smith & 1 honey crisp]
2 t. vanilla
1 c. chopped nuts [I either use walnuts or pecans or sometimes ½ and ½]

Sift together flour, salt, soda, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.  Beat eggs well.  Add sugar and oil and blend.  Add flour mix, vanilla, apples (one cup at a time) and nuts.  Batter will be stiff...

applecakereadytobake

Spoon into a greased bundt pan.  Bake approximately 1 hour & 20 minutes.

To make it into a trifle...

I made 1 big box of instant vanilla pudding according to package directions.  Then I layered a ⅓ of the cake, ⅓ of the pudding & a ⅓ of a large tub of whipped topping.  Then a generous squirt of caramel sauce.  Repeat the layers 2 more times.  Stick in the refrigerator overnight.

No comments: